Grow Organic Food!!

I am really into the idea of people growing their own food. I volunteer at a community garden, and read a fair bit about gardening and farming. I have friends who just bought land and are going to start some sort of research farm/teaching farm/way to grow their own food and maybe make some money, too. My main blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Seeds=one step towards sustainability

Yeah, so there's going to be a seed swap at the Ecology Center this week. There is a note on the board at our community garden about please saving seeds. I think we are the closest community garden to the ecology center- about a mile away.

Anywhoozlebees, there have been a bunch of broccoli plants that have been going to seed for months in our garden, and most of them got pulled out yesterday (why let them go for this long and then pull them out?). Several radishes that didn't get picked in December were also pulled out in the last week. Radishes are the EASIEST thing to grow in the Bay Area, besides chard and fava beans and maybe some kales and lettuces and some potatoes. You get what I mean. So why not save seeds from one or two of the radish plants? Radishes are a great thing to grow because they give near-instant gratification- 4 to 6 weeks, and they're all out of the ground or too old to eat.

Also, people at our garden tend to leave the smaller or less productive plants for seeds. That goes against Darwin and a lot of other common sense.

There are so many things at that garden that go against common sense, and whenever I try to convince people of things, for some reason I "lose" the argument.

I NEED TO FIND ANOTHER GARDEN TO WORK ON. And/or move out of the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home